The first mineral ventures on the Arizona Strip occurred in 1872, when two of John Wesley Powell’s packers discovered a little “color” in the sand at the mouth of Kanab Creek. Word of the gold discovery soon reached the outside via the newly installed telegraph at Pipe Springs. By early March, miners began pouring into the region. The gold, however, was too fine to be profitable, and the rush abated after a few months. This influx of outsiders breached the isolation of the Mormon communities and stimulated the local economy.